Contnental Airlines Flight Attendant Positions
At Continental, we recognize that one of our greatest assets is our people. The rich diversity of ideas, experiences, cultures and lifestyles represented by Continental employees makes it possible for us to give the best possible service to our global customers. We offer everything you need to build the career you've always wanted. Your search for a
great place to work ends right here - at Continental Airlines. Why Join The Continental Airlines Winning Team? Great Reasons for Choosing a Career at Continental
* Best Employee Travel Program in the industry
* Profit Sharing Plans share Continental's success with employees
* Perfect Attendance Awards recognize continuous service by employees
* On-time Bonuses reward employees for meeting on-time arrival/departure targets
Some other great reasons for choosing Continental include competitive medical, dental and vision insurance programs, as well as holiday, vacation and sick time. You can also enroll in our 401(k) plan, which offers valuable resources in saving for retirement. In addition, our Stock Purchase Plan allows you to share in the financial growth of our company. As a Continental employee, you're also eligible to receive employee discounts on air travel, car rentals, hotels, and cruise ships. What It Takes To Become a Continental Airlines Flight Attendant
Being a flight attendant is a multi-task job requiring many skills. Flight attendants perform important safety, security and service-related responsibilities in their role and interact with a diverse group of customers and fellow employees.
Summary of Essential Job Responsibilities
* Work independently without constant observation, yet work well with others as part of a team
* Work in accordance with established procedures and performance standards
* Ensure compliance with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Regulations
* Prepare and serve multiple meals and beverages
* Sell onboard liquor, headsets and duty-free items
* Assist customers with carry-on items
* Ensure safety and comfort of our customers
* Respond and provide leadership during an emergency, including aircraft evacuation and unusual situations (bomb threats, hijackings, delayed flights, severe weather conditions, turbulent flights, etc.)
* Respond to customer medical situations and administer first aid to ill or incapacitated customers
* Maintain order and handle unruly or irate customers
This summary of job duties indicates the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications that may be required of employees assigned to this job classification. Additional duties may be added as required by the operational needs of Continental Airlines. What It Takes To Be A Successful Continental Airlines Flight Attendant
Flight attendants are the most highly visible employees to our customers. The friendliness and quality of service provided by our flight attendants greatly influences our customers' perceptions of Continental Airlines. Therefore, applicants are required to meet certain application requirements.
Flight Attendant Qualifications
* Good judgment
* Excellent dependability
* Exceptional interpersonal skills
* Caring and nurturing disposition
* Ability to accept personal responsibility for resolving concerns
* Strong work ethic
* Good service orientation
* Excellent communication skills
* Professional appearance suitable for a conservative business environment
* Friendly and polite in all situations
* Ability to handle pressure in stressful situations
* Physical agility and strength for assisting customers and their luggage Application Requirements
* Minimum 21 years of age
* High school diploma or equivalency
* Secondary education is preferred
* Basic computer literacy
* Ability to perform basic math skills
* Minimum 2 years direct customer service experience
* Ability to read, write and fluently speak and understand the English language
* Bilingual fluency (ability to speak, read and write) in Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, German, Chinese (Cantonese, Mandarin), Japanese, Hebrew, Portuguese or Russian
* Possess and maintain a valid United States passport or foreign passport with applicable VISAs. Continental Airlines does not sponsor flight attendant applicants for immigration purposes. Applicants must have the right to travel freely in and out of the United States, to and from all cities served by Continental Airlines without restriction.
* Authorized to work in the United States as defined in the Immigration Reform Act of 1986
* Fulfill a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) required ten-year work history review, a criminal background check and submit to fingerprinting
* Ability to comprehend and retain information pertinent to the position
* Willing to work holidays, weekends, nights and extended hours
* Willing to work "reserve" status for a long duration
* Willing to reside within a driving radius of your assigned base
* Willing to relocate based on company's operational needs
* Willing to submit to random drug/alcohol testing
* Reliable transportation to and from the airport
Flight attendants work in an environment subject to frequent changes in geography, culture, climate, cabin altitude, G-forces, dry air, high noise levels, dim lighting, turbulence and continuous and frequent contact with others in flight. Flight attendants work in confined spaces of aircraft aisles and galleys. To accomplish service and cabin equipment operation needs for periods of long duration, flight attendants must stand, walk, kneel, bend, stoop, stretch, reach, lift heavy objects from the floor to above shoulder-level and push/pull equipment.
* Minimum height of 5'0" and maximum height of 6'3" without shoes
* Height and weight proportionate to maintain professional appearance; body size cannot exceed specific aircraft dimensions (example: jumpseat, harness without modification, cabin aisle and emergency exits)
* Vision correctable to 20/40 or better (uncorrected 20/200 or better)
* Push and pull beverage/meal cart (150-250 lbs.)
* Lift liquor kit (up to 43 lbs.)
* Lift emergency window exit (up to 60 lbs.)
* Open emergency door (91-126 lbs. stress)
* Maintain lifestyle free from alcohol abuse and illegal drug use
* Successful completion of pre-employment examination revealing no physical or mental limitations that would impair ability to perform routine or emergency duties Employment Conditions Relocation
* Continental Airlines will assign your initial base. You must be able to be based in any of our domiciles. Our current flight attendant domiciles are located in Cleveland, OH (Cleveland Hopkins International Airport); Houston, TX (Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport; and Newark, NJ (Newark Liberty International Airport).
* You will be required to live within a driving radius of your assigned base.
* All associated relocation costs are the sole responsibility of the flight attendant. Work Schedule
* New hire flight attendants will work on reserve status to be determined by company operational needs.
While on reserve, flight attendants must live in their base city and be able to report for duty within 2 hours notice. Reserve flight attendants must provide phone numbers where they can be reached while on duty and be available for duty assignments on a 24 hour standby basis. Reserve flight attendants will be assigned a schedule with a minimum number of days off a month.
* Flight attendants may fly domestically and internationally.
* Flight attendants will be away from home for several consecutive days at a time.
* Flight attendants routinely work nights, weekends, holidays and extended hours. Salary
* All flight attendant wages and other terms and conditions are governed by the contract agreed upon between Continental Airlines and International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) and are competitive with other major airlines. Flight attendants are required to pay monthly union dues.
* Continental Flight attendants are paid the following hourly base pay
rates: 1st year - $18.00
2nd year - $20.00
3rd year - $22.50
4th year - $25.95
5th year - $27.84
o There are annual increases through the 16th year. In addition, flight attendants are eligible for additional incentive compensation, pay for use of designated language skills, position override pay (lead and galley positions).
o All employees participate in Continentals On-Time bonus program.
* All flight attendants receive per diem expense reimbursement of $1.85-$2.50 per hour for all trips which require more than one duty period.
* Reserve flight attendants receive a pay guarantee of 83 hours. Training
* Employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a four and one half-week unpaid training program in Houston, Texas. Accommodations will be provided. Background Check
* The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires a ten-year work history review, a criminal background check and fingerprinting for flight attendants. Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of the background investigation according to FAA and Continental Airlines standards. Drug Screening
* The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires a drug screening for flight attendant applicants. Continental Airlines requires employees to maintain drug-free lives and to submit to drug/alcohol testing randomly throughout their career. Employment is contingent upon a cleared drug screen according to FAA and Continental Airlines standards. Uniforms
* Flight attendants are responsible for the purchase of their initial set of uniform pieces and luggage. After the first year, annual replacement of uniform pieces will be provided by Continental Airlines. The initial cost for uniforms and luggage is approximately $720, which may be payroll deducted once employed by the company.
Applicants invited to attend a training class will be required to present a valid federal or state issued form of photo identification. In addition, a photo copy of a valid passport or copy of receipt verifying that an application for a passport has been submitted and is being processed will be collected. All applicants selected for training class will also be required to present documentation authorizing work and residence in the United States.
Thank you for your interest in being a Continental Airlines flight attendant.
If you meet ALL of the above-mentioned qualifications and ALL of the employment conditions are acceptable to you, please click on the link below to begin the application process. You will be asked to submit general contact information, attach a resume* and/or complete an online application, and answer job-related questions.